Home automation services refer to the automatic and electronic control of household functions, activities and appliances. Some components of an automated home can include centralized control of security locks on doors and gates, appliances, windows, lighting, surveillance cameras and HVAC systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
How does home automation work?
Home automation systems are composed of hardware, communication and electronic interfaces that work to integrate electrical equipment with each other. Domestic activities can then be controlled at the touch of a button. From any remote location, users can adjust the controls of home entertainment systems or change temperatures in certain rooms. Home automation software is often connected through computer networks so that users can adjust the settings on their personal computers.
The three elements to consider for home automation services are the sensors, the controllers and the actuators.
The sensors can monitor changes in daylight, temperature, motion detection, door opening, etc; through them, the home automation systems can then adjust the configuration to the levels that the user prefers.
Controllers refer to the equipment used to send and receive messages about the status of automated functions in users’ homes.
What functions are available through home automation systems?
The different home automation systems offer a variety of services and functions. Some of the common functions available through these platforms can include fire and carbon monoxide monitoring, remote lighting control, thermostat control, appliance control, live video monitoring, security cameras, alarm systems and alerts by text messages and email in real time.
Homeowners can save on energy bills by reducing the amount of time the lights stay on.
What are the benefits of home automation?
One of the main advantages of adopting home automation systems is that the user can easily protect their house against fire and thefts while enjoying the temperature, light automation simultaneously. The automation of functions in the home promotes safety, comfort, energy efficiency and convenience.
Applications of home automation
The different applications of home automation are aimed at improving the quality of life of users and can be grouped into different categories:
- Energy efficiency: the domotic control of a home allows to monitor and optimize global energy consumption through efficient management.
- Comfort: the possibility of controlling different household tasks remotely and even program them automatically through the central domotic make the stay more comfortable.
- Security: the sensors of the different objects connected to the home automation system allow remote home supervision and the programming of responses to possible intrusions in the security system.
- Accessibility: home automation seeks to make it possible for any person, regardless of their degree of ability, to make use of the elements of the home.
- Communication: it is the basis of every domotic system since it allows the connection between the user and the different connected devices and allows the remote control of the home automation.